Our family’s favorite potato soup. This gets made probably twice a month in the winter, and the girl with a late August birthday usually requests it for her birthday dinner. It’s that favoritest. However, it started out as a humble attempt to replace the Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana now that 1) we’re not living near an Olive Garden and 2) I’d be allergic to anything within their walls.
I had a couple requests for the recipe, and apparently I hadn’t actually added it online yet! Now I won’t have to steal my daughter’s 4th grade project whenever I forget how much chicken stock to use.
So, there it is. Oh, you don’t want to read off my kid’s awesome typed homework project? OK, fine. I’m adding a recipe plugin below instead then.
This is my first recipe using this plugin, let me know if it works! Updated the recipe plugin 12/5/2017
Favorite Potato Soup
- 3 large potatoes halved and cut to ¼” slices (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 lb Italian sausage bulk
- 1 onion medium size, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup whole cream
- 2 cups kale chopped
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Chop bacon, cook until browned, then remove and set aside.
- In bacon fat, cook sausage until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion to drippings, salt, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Deglaze pan with about one cup of chicken stock.
- Add remainder of stock, potatoes, and sausage. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked.
- Roughly chop bacon and add to simmering soup.
- Add cream and kale.
- Heat thoroughly, another 3 minutes or so.
- Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan.