My go to emergency gift for teachers and aunts and neighbors is a sugar scrub. Who doesn’t love relaxing and feeling good? This winter, I went with orange and peppermint! These are an awesome and thoughtful gift, plus all the ingredients can be found at Whole Foods or other market, and you may have most in your kitchen already.
I actually reformulated my scrubs this year. I used to use coconut oil because love that stuff, but then my shower drain was getting horribly clogged! I use scrubs myself in place of soap, and all that oil down the drain was not working out. Especially considering my master bathroom is about 10° colder than the rest of the house! So, despite my love of all things coconut oil, it had to go. I have been replacing it in my regular scrubs for myself with grapeseed and olive. Both are liquid at room temperature and relatively cleanly processed. I also really love this grapeseed, because it’s got a brilliant green hue, no food coloring required!
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Grapeseed Oil
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Orange Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Mason Jars or recycled Jelly Jars
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add dry ingredients.
- Mix oils into to the dry ingredients, until mixture resembles wet sand. You can use more or less oil depending on desired texture.
- Mix in desired essential oils. I added roughly double the amount of orange, since peppermint is such a strong scent. About 25 peppermint droplets and 50 orange.
- Scoop into desired vessels and gift! This recipe filled 3 8oz half pint jars, perfect for my three kids' teachers!
Hope you enjoy!