Jamie Dress Pattern by Sis Boom/Scientific Seamstress

Jamie Dress Pattern Review

I recently participated in a sew-a-long for the Jamie Dress Pattern by Sis Boom/Scientific Seamstress, so here is my recap and review!

Jamie Dress Pattern Review by Mimi's Mom

So I’ve had this Alexander Henry fabric I got from Jo-Ann Fabrics for maybe four years. I did a little half-hearted stint making purses to sell that I couldn’t really get into enough. I love making them, but my business sense is just not all there. I have some from this fabric up in my gallery. I just love the modern orange with the Asian print, so I used that in my dress too.

donna koto

This dress was super easy to make. Carla’s instructions are impeccably clear. She also creates pattern pieces in such a way that fitting them for your own body is simple. I used a small bodice, but a medium waistband to fit around my ribcage. There’s also bodice options for those with larger busts! I took cues from some others that had made the pattern before and carried the front sash design around to the back. I used the same front pieces and simply cut two of the outer and inner pieces, and I shortened the back bodice piece to allow for it. In doing this, I did have to make a small side dart on the front piece to be able to match side seams correctly.

The great thing about making your own dress is it can be any length! I’ve seen Jamies shorter than mine, and some maxi length. All cute! My skirt is the full width of the fabric, versus the width called for on the cutting chart in the pattern. It was just a couple extra inches, and I felt like I’d rather have the fun fluffiness than whack it off. I only had about 42″ length of the full width of fabric, so it got split to a front and back at 21″ each. I felt this was a smidge shorter than I wanted, so the red ruffle was added. I did this by cutting four strips at 6″ wide the full width of the fabric, seaming it to one long strip, and pressing in half, wrong sides together. Then I ran it through my serger with the ruffle foot and attached it to the dress all in one step. This saved me from having to press about 4 1/2 yards worth of eensy 1/4″ inch hems. Ugh, hems.

hems are for suckers

I posted this as the reason for my dress’ ruffle, and it was enjoyed by many. 🙂

 

Zipper insertion (I know, the words strike fear into so many!) is easy and uses glue sticks and no annoying unpicking of the seam. The straps use hidden elastic in the bodice pieces for a nice, neat fit without much fuss. The pattern does not come with pockets, but I did add them. I used a pocket I already had, but others added the pocket from the Angie pattern.

So, I love this dress. I’m so excited that I have something I get to wear out of this fabric. I will definitely make more dresses from this pattern for me! There is also a companion girl’s dress called the Marissa to make for my two girls. Both patterns can be found at the Sis Boom website or the Etsy shop for the Scientific Seamstress. Join in the sew-a-long too if you’d like! More information is available for that at: http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.com/2013/07/announcing-sewalong.html And you can join the Facebook group to network with other sewists and see what others are making by joining the Scientific Seamstress Lab Group on Facebook. The sew-a-long runs through August 7th (you can sew this in a day, so plenty of time!) and a pack of 3 patterns will randomly be awarded to those entering photos in the group!

Comments

  1. Love your Jamie dress, great fabrics for this! Also, really like the fact that many of this designer’s patterns have plus sizes! Thanks for sharing.

  2. Pingback: SONP2014 Guest Post: Mimi's Mom! - Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky!

Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

This blog uses premium CommentLuv which allows you to put your keywords with your name if you have had 3 approved comments. Use your real name and then @ your keywords (maximum of 3)