I picked up the Perfect Pattern Parcel last week during Kids Clothes Week. This is a neat project on its second “parcel” or pattern collection. They pick some neat independent pattern designers, you name your price, and proceeds from the sales go to charity. My little one immediately gravitated toward the pictures of the Hanami Dress by Straight Grain, so that’s what I sewed up first! I didn’t get actual sewing done last week, but I picked up the pattern bundle and I cut it all out, so that counts, right?
Ellie is my nature girl, being born on Earth Day. Her birthday is next Tuesday, eek! She’s turning 5, and I was going to have this be a birthday dress, but preschool picture day came up instead.
This was inspired by this fabric that for no good reason reminds me of seahorses. I confirmed with my animal lover that this would be an acceptable addition. My girl also requested a pocket. And for the seahorse to be in the middle. And I thought I’d do ties instead of buttons. Not because I have buttonfear, just wanted a change up to accent the cross back design. If I were to do it over again, I’d make the ties a little less chunky. Maybe I’d cut them at 1 1/2″ instead of 2″. I placed them in the outer side and the left wrapping flap, just at the same place as the buttons are on the pattern. On the inside flap, I sewed a little loop of elastic at the inside left side seam and two small plain buttons on the right wrapping back flap. They keep the inside neatly wrapped inside. Here’s my sneak peek pic from before the skirt went on.
To match the pocket with the rest of the pattern, I cut a chunk and played around with it, hemmed the top, found a good spot for it to go where the pattern matched and the pocket size was right, and then sewed down the one side. I then trimmed the overhanging parts to be even with the side seam and hem and basted those sides down. I’d wanted the seahorse to be emerging from the pocket, but that just never looked right.
My seahorse was from a gif I found online searching for “seahorse applique,” then I printed him on paper and traced a simplified version of him onto fusible web. I wanted the beachy texture of linen. I stitched just inside his lines nicely, then sketch stitched around another two times. It’s subtle, and you won’t even see it unless you’re up close, but it was fun. Next time I’ll be brave and use bright blue thread. P.S. Pay no attention to the badly sewn bar tack on the pocket.
I got the Hanami dress all done last night and showed it to her this morning, and she tells me she wanted the seahorse smack in the middle. Like of the bodice. Ah well, I talked her into trying it on anyway, and it’s what she’s wore for preschool pictures today. She doesn’t look as bothered by it as she meant to be.
Not sure what I’ll sew up next of the Pattern Parcel… probably a Celestial Tee because the little pleats around the neck! Or maybe now I actually have to make her a birthday dress!